Our FREE Facebook community is a place to come together to share insights, tips, questions, answers and most importantly provide support for one another in our DIY-recording journey.
We run a tight-knit community, and we aim to preserve the quality of the group at all times.
Which is why we have created and enforce these rules on a daily basis.
Please read through all of them as we have a three strikes policy and depending on how far you push things will determine if we stick to three strikes, or boot you on principle. Here’s how it works:
- If you try to post anything that violates any of our rules, we'll delete it and we'll talk to you about it.
- If you repeat this behavior, we will ban you for at least 7 days. No access to the group during that period.
- If you still don't get it and try a third time we will ban you for life.
- Types of posts that can result in an immediate ban: Anything homophobic, sexist, racist, and any other ist or ism you can think of. Leave that stuff out of our group. Oh yeah, and any post referencing your genitals.
- Finally, we are one big, happy community. That means leave topics such as religion and politics at the door. That said, although we are one big family, there is absolutely no room for racists, fascists, anti-semites, homophobes, sexists, or anyone remotely connected to those things. If we find out you fall into any of these categories, you're out.
So with that being said, let’s dive in…
1. NO SELF PROMOTION EVER.
No self-promotion is allowed (except for in our specified threads started by our admins) or where otherwise explicitly stated. You'll notice when we encourage you to promote your band/project.
So, what do we consider self-promotion?
Definition of self-promotion:
– Selling anything – that means music, services, courses, events and programs, books, etc…
– Promoting a video, live stream, spotify link (except curated playlists that include TSRB artists), bandcamp link, event, crowdfund, contest, poll or asking for votes, etc...
– Posting affiliate links (if you don’t even know what those are…we won’t have a problem).
– Posting your own content (videos, blog posts, etc...) in the group and not as a comment on a specific (and relevant) thread. This includes posting links to surveys or posting photos with your social handles, URLs or business name on them. If you have any content or resources that you think are helpful and valuable to the group, let us know and we'll decide whether you can post it or not. If your content is relevant to a question or thread, it's ok to post, as long as you're not trying to sell anything
– Posting “free” offers/opt-ins. These will be deleted… even if you have the best of intentions. And same here: If you have any content or resources that you think are helpful and valuable to the group, let us know and we'll decide whether you can post it or not. And you can offer to personally help someone out anytime, of course.
– Posting market research related questions. This is not the group for it and we encourage you to ask your own audience.
**Note: We may break our own rule and promote things we feel add value and service to the group. We reserve that right as it is our group and community. If you are not cool with that, it’s best you remove yourself now.**
2. ASK, BE THOUGHTFUL, GIVE, CELEBRATE
If you want to post in this free Facebook group, check if your post fits into one of three categories: Ask, Be Thoughtful, Give.
ASK = Any question you may have around DIY recording, working with mixing engineers, preparing your rehearsal room for recording, instrument and mic setup, optimizing your songs, pre-production, recording- and playing-techniques, file export and transfer, etc.
BE THOUGHTFUL = If a fellow member has helped you and you want to say thank you, or you just wish to spotlight and celebrate something somebody else has achieved, feel free to do that.
GIVE = Any tips, strategies, lessons or insights you have learned along the way. Any relevant resources you've found and used, that might help your fellow members (We'll check those first to make sure it's really helpful, valuable and doesn't violate our self-promotion rules). Again, there are no links to your (“free”) offers allowed. You may link to helpful articles, podcasts etc that are NOT on your own site. GIVE is not to be used as a strategy to promote outside content. If you think you have something of value for the community, show it to us first and we'll see if you can post it.
CELEBRATE = Any wins you are celebrating. We love to hear your success stories and we love to hear about the progress you're making. Again, NO links allowed and no requests to PM you to “find out more”.
3. NO SOLICITATION OR REQUESTS TO PM YOU
Do not post in the group and ask people to PM you to find out more about what you offer, how you can help or to work with you.
4. DON’T BE A JERK
We love and value our members and you should too. Be polite and respectful. No talking trash about anyone. Period. Don’t be negative, condescending or rude. You might be removed immediately. If that happens there are no second chances.
That means respecting people’s feelings, but also their privacy and their rights to their work.
If you’re rude or disrespectful or spammy…you will be banned.
Also, no complaining for the sake of complaining. If you're going to complain, make sure there is SOME sort of point for discussion.
5. BE HELPFUL
Give advice if someone has a problem that you know how to solve. Provide genuine and helpful feedback and suggestions to others.
Ask questions. Answer questions.
Be the kind of supportive friend that you want and need on your personal journey.
Remember: We are all here to help each other…so give more than you take, please.
6. DON’T PM ADMINS TO COMPLAIN ABOUT BANS OR DELETED POSTS
If you have a question about why your post was deleted, it’s because you broke the rules.
If you were removed from the group, it’s because you broke the rules.
Finally, we ask that you respect the time of our admins and owners and not PM them through Facebook. You can ask all of your questions inside the group and the admins and owners will tray to answer as many as possible of these. Plus, you can always send us questions via eMail, so that we can answer them in our Q&A videos.
If you don’t agree with ALL of these rules, kindly remove yourself from the group.
Other than that, let’s support each other and keep making great records!
**Note: These rules are subject to change without notice. It’s on you to keep up.**
HOW TO GET THE MOST OUT OF THIS GROUP
- Don’t come in with a motive.
Instead, show up with the intention to connect, serve and help, not to sell your music or grow your fan base, list, audience or bottom line…it defeats the purpose of the group.
- When creating a post, make it fun, original and helpful.
Remember the categories your post should fall into. Also, please make it more than a single sentence or just a few words, if possible. Put some thought into it, so that it's really helpful and everybody can follow along with what you're trying to say.
- Don’t share the same content across 10 different Facebook groups.
Many people belong to those same groups and see your same posts repeated.
This is a unique treasure trove of information and support for self-recording bands so consider that when posting.
- Show up daily for a set amount of time and then get back to music.
If you’re living in this group, you aren’t improving your skills or using your time to write or record great music. This community should be a knowledge vault and a refueling zone for your creativity.
- If you show up just to post your content and not help out your fellow community members, they notice.
While it may seem like people don’t notice your presence and how you show up, they do.
- Share your thoughts and experiences because they are valuable to others.
We’re not gonna lie, this journey is a long and complicated one.
The more insights and guidance, the better!
That's it! If you’ve read all of these rules and still want to be a part of what this group is all about…then WELCOME! We are excited to get to know you!
Now let’s connect, learn, inspire and have some fun, right?
You got this! I can't wait to hear your results!
Mixing Engineer, Producer, Musician, Entrepreneur
Founder & DIC (Dude In Charge) at The Self-Recording Band & Outback Recordings